Congratulations on becoming a new member of the Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Please use this site to make sure all the necessary logistics are completed as you start your new position.
For all new members, please complete this section prior to your first day in the office:
1) Background information: Email a copy of your resume to your hiring manager. In your email, include the following information - mailing address, birthday, marital status and wedding date if applicable, ethnicity and work eligibility (U.S. citizen, resident or visa).
3) Activate your UNI. The information will be sent to you in a separate email.
If your offer includes a salary, please complete Step 2. Otherwise, please proceed to Step 4.
3) Employment Eligibility: On or before your first day of work, you need to complete Section 1 of the I-9 Form.
Once Section 1 is completed, the list of acceptable documents for Section 2 will be presented to you. Please bring the required documents with you within 3 business days of your start date in order to complete Section 2 of the I-9 in person at 210 Kent Hall. For a list of frequently asked questions please visit the I-9 website at Columbia.
4) Taxation: Fill out your federal taxation form - W-4 form - and give it to your hiring manager.
If you are in the U.S. on a visa, please proceed to Step 3. Otherwise, please proceed to Step 4.
5) The U.S. has an agreement with certain countries to exempt a small amount of earnings from Taxation. If your country has an agreement, please complete the form 8233 using instructions found also on the IRS website. The country's supplemental letter are below:
- Belgium Supplemental Letter
- China Supplemental Letter
- France Supplemental Letter
- Germany Supplemental Letter
- Iceland Supplemental Letter
- Italy Supplemental Letter
- Korea Supplemental Letter
- Morocco Supplemental Letter
- Spain Supplemental Letter
6) In the event that you do not have a social security number, you must obtain one in order to receive salary from Columbia University. The ISSO office has written a set of clear instructions which can be found here.
On your first day in the office, please:
7) Come by room 309 Mudd to drop off your paperwork and get acquainted.
8) Bring a photo ID to obtain a Columbia ID card. Bring appropriate ID if you need to complete an I9.
Shi Yee Lee